2.jpg

Generally, my work has been dealing with “life within time/life in the time.” I have been expressing it mostly through installations, using lines. The reason I enjoy using linear materials is because, by that, I could show the original space the most. As no art piece could exist without the audience, any art work which does not reflect the space and people and thus, remain unchanged does not mean anything to me. Therefore, the audience as participants and the space are very essential elements of an art work. That is why I have been getting the audience, their movement, thought, and names to participate in my work. If an art work asks a question to the audiences, the audiences get to think about the answer in reference to their life. In that context, my art works are the questions I am asking people.    

Questioning about the subject, life and time, is a process of finding one’s own life or identity. Although it is a very wide and philosophical subject, it is the most basic and unsolved problem everybody would have about their lives. As this kind of questions could be answered only by experiencing it through life, I hope my work, started as questions, could be a small touch by which it could help the people to find their answers in the life some day, if not immediately in the gallery.    

“The Locked Room”
In this exhibition, I would like to narrow down the broad perspective of time and deal with the time in the past, through people’s memory. The past here, does not mean ‘regret.’ After all, I believe the solution to the anxiety coming from the uncertain present and future lies in the past. A wise man once said, to find out how your life has been, is to see ‘not what you earned but what you lost.’
“What have you lost to earn what?”
Was what you lost really what you did not need?

일반적으로 내 작품은 “시간속의 삶”에 대해 이야기해 왔다. 그것을 주로 선(line)을 이용한 설치작품으로 보여 오고 있다. 주로 선적인 재료를 즐겨 사용하는 것은 기존에 공간을 가장 많이 보여줄 수 있기 때문이다. 관객 없이 홀로 존재하는 작품이 없듯, 사람과 공간의 반영 없이 변치 않는 작품도 내겐 의미가 없다. 때문에 참여자로서의 관객과 공간은  작품의 중요한 구성 요소이다. 때문에 주로 나는 관객을, 그들의 움직임이나, 생각, 이름 등을, 작품에 참여시켜오고 있다. 작품이 관객에게 어떤 질문을 하면, 관객은 자신의 인생에서 그 대답을 생각해보는 관계...그런 의미에서 내 작품들은 사람들에게  던지는 질문인 셈이다. 

삶과 시간에 대한 주제는, 그것은 일종의 자신만의 인생 혹은 자신의 정체성을 찾기 위한 과정이기 때문이다. 어찌 보면 매우 광범위하면서 철학적인 주제이기도 하지만, 인생에 있어 누구나 가지는 가장 기본적인 풀리지 않는 의문에 대해 결국은 삶을 통해, 살아보아야만 답을 알 수가 있듯이, 질문으로 시작한 내 작품이 전시장에서 당장은 아니지만 사람들의 삶에서 언젠가 스스로 답을 찾아가는 데 작은 건드림이 됐으면 한다.

“잠겨있는 방”(The locked Room)  

이번 전시에선 거시적인 시간에서 좀 더 범위를 좁혀 사람들의 기억을 통해 과거란 시간에 접근해보고자 한다. 과거라고 해서 결코 ‘후회’를 다루자 함은 아니다. 결국 알 수 없는 현재와 미래의 불안에 대한 답은 과거에 있다고 믿기 때문이다. 
현자(賢者)가 이르길 삶이 어떠했는지를 알아보는 길은 ‘무엇을 얻었는지가 아니라, 무엇을 잃었는지’ 를 살펴보는 것이라 했다.
“당신은 무엇을 얻기 위해 무엇을 잃었는가? ” 
과연 그 잃어버린 것은 진정 당신에게 필요 없는 것이었을까. 

삭제하시겠습니까?
취소