1066.jpg

Project Dialogue Vol. 3 –the Definition of Botong (subtitle: the power of Average ) *

The project the Definition of Botong (The Power of Average) is the study of “Botong” (“average”) that has somehow become the bottom line of Korea society. A research study in format, my work has a psychoanalysis based hypothesis and the research, testing materials, experiments, and professional references necessary in order to prove that hypothesis.  The process and the results of the research are reflected in the work piece itself. People rationalize their behaviors and belief using the definition of “Botong” they believe in, and thereby live and build their lives based on this conviction, despite the fact that average is never objective or at times is relatively irrational. 
The deeper I delve into what “Botong” is the more I am convinced it is not something you want to take after but despite this, people cannot seem to pull themselves away from letting it influence their lives.
In a world full of people who live on the sidelines of their own lives, “Botong” brazenly normalizes the lack of guilt for offenses, and people faced with such shamelessness grow silent, callous, and weary. We need to get to the bottom of this thing called “botong,” so that we may rid ourselves of the compulsion to “be at least ‘Botong”

1060.jpg

*Botong: The Korean word ‘botong’ has over 20 possible meanings: normal, average, general, ordinary, common, nothing, same, stereotype, typical, habitual, custom, routine, natural, so-so, standard, usual, regular, plain, uniformity, unremarkable, uniformity..
The intended meaning of ‘Botong’ is usually derived from the situation and context where the word is used, but because of its varied meanings, ambiguity can pose to be a problem in terms of communication.
The general Korean population understands ‘botong’ as either ‘average’ or ‘normality’, two meanings that have come to be the central concepts of this project. Of the two meanings, the artist has mainly based the project on “the power of average,” an extremely influential force in the Korean society.

ps) the title of project in Korean has both meaning.(It's a kind of homonym)

project 대화 vol.2-보통의 정의

"보통이세요?"

Project <보통의 정의>는 언젠가부터 우리사회의 Bottom line(최소한의 기준)이 되어버린 ‘보통’(Botong)에 대한 연구이다. 연구인만큼 심리학과 정신분석에 기반한 가설과 그를 입증하기 위한 조사와 검사지 제작, 실험 그리고 전문가 협력을 병행했으며 그 과정과 결과를 작품에 반영했다. 사람들의 행동과 생각은 자신들이 믿는 ‘보통’에 정당성을 두고 있으며 그를 기준으로 삶을 만들어 간다. 비록 ‘보통’이 절대로 객관적이지 못하고 상대적이며 때론 불합리해도 말이다.

‘보통’에 대해 알면 알 수록 ’보통’은 그리 닮고 싶은 무엇이 아니었음에도 불구하고 여전히 사람들의 인생에서 강력한 힘을 발휘하고 있다. 자신의 인생에서 조연으로 살고 있는 사람들 틈에서 정작 잘못을 저질러도 죄의식보단 당연함을 느끼게 만드는 ‘보통’의 뻔뻔함에 사람들은 침묵하며 무뎌지고 지쳐가고 있다. ‘적어도 보통은 되어야 한다’는 강박관념에서 벗어나기 위해서라도 이 망할 ‘보통’을 이젠 알아야겠다. 

Research 보통검사 

이번 프로젝트를 위해 사람들이 생각하는 '보통사람'에 대한 인식을 알아보기 위한 두 장짜리 심리 시험지를 제작, 2011년 부터 학교, 관공서, 신입사원 연수등에서 실시했다. 사람들은 자신이 생각하는 보통사람을 결정짓는 요소와 특징, 성향들을 스스로 정하고, 이후 그곳에 자신의 것을 대입시켜 스스로는 '보통'인지 생각해볼 수있는 기회를 마려하기위한 의도이다.

400여명으로 부터 수집한 검사지의 통계결과를 가지고 보통 Archive를 제작하고, <보통의 정의> 대다수의 작품에 이 결과를 반영했다.

DSC_2615.jpg
Botong Test (2011) _TedX Ewha(2011)

This two-page questionnaire was conducted in collaboration with a psychiatrist. as of 2013 over 700 persons have been take this test and the process and the result of the survey has been reflected in the work piece itself.'Botong test 'contains 3 questions about the character,  propensity, interrelation of ‘Boton’g.  At the first of  test participant has to think about the meaning of’ Botong’ to answer that questions.
According to the statistic of test, different ‘Botong’ has been existed inside the people but  most people has been understanding the ‘Botong'  into  'Normal' and 'Average'. and the ‘Average's importance  has been growing gradually. and I got to know the fact that people's ‘Botong’ is close to 'Average'. (That's why I named the title of ‘the Test for the Average’ at first.)
* I tried to translate 'Botong' into 'Average' but now I realized there is no English word  to translate it. Actually I'm in trouble explaining ’Botong’ in English.

Botong Archive 

1057.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg
Up) Botong Doctrine 보통강령_2013_ bronze text_40x70cm_(the Seoul Museum of Art Collection)

Dawn) Archive of Botong Test_2013_ statistics graph of ‘Test for the average', drawing, text_300x120cm

Botong Doctrine (this work was based on the statistic result of survey Botong Test’)

- I should not be seen as weird.

-Even though I think that I’m not normal, I should say to people that I’m normal. 

-Job and friends and  marriage status determine ‘Botong’.

-’Boton’g is the average of the group that I belonging.

-Minor routine is better than great life. 

-Never take any initiative especially when in emergency.

-Do same as others even if I don't want to.

-Mingle well in the group not to be noticed by others

1063.jpg

400여명의 보통검사 설문의 답변을 분석하고 그를 통계내는 과정을 Archive에 담았다. 성별, 직업별, 나이별로 구분하여 각 집단들이 생각하는 보통을 판단짓는 기준과 특징 그리고 성향들을 기록했다. 또한 참여자들이 스스로를 보통이라고 여기는 질문에대한 불일치도 결과와 전체 평균, 주관적으로 답한 '보통사람'에 대한 사람들의 다양한 생각들을 살펴볼 수 있다. 

작품 '보통강령'은 '보통 Archive'를 기록하는 과정에서 발견하게 된 사실을 중심으로 기록된 '강령'으로 사람들이 최소한으로 도달해야하는 기준'보통'에 얼마나 강박적으로 매달리고 있는지를 나타낸다.

Botong.jpg

‘Botong’ Measurement_ 2013_mixed media_variable dimensions

As I said first, ‘Botong’ has over 20 possible meanings in Korea:.
I explores the multifarious definitions of ‘Botong’ by taking English words equivalent to ‘Botong’ and their related context and expressed them with objects d’art in ‘Botong’ Measurement.

20180713_110800.jpg

‘Botong’ Measurement_ 2018_mixed media_variable dimensions_Collection Van Laethem-Croux_Hasselt(BE)

20180714_120331.jpg

사람들은 보통을 '평균'과 '정상'으로 가장 많이 인식하고 있었다. 때문에 프로젝트에선 두 개념을 중점적으로 다루고 있지만, 실상 우리말 보통을 영어로 번역하려고 치면 20가지 이상의 단어들을 고려해야만 한다. 그만큼 우리만 '보통'은 가장 애매모호한 표현이며 상황과 맥락에 따라 각자 해석해야할 단어이기도 하다. 모든 상황에서 사용가능하며 자신의 의사를 감추기에 가장 완벽한 단어인'보통'은 그렇게에 우리의 대화를 어렵게 만드는 원인이기도 하다. 

작품 '보통 Measurement'는 영어 단어 중 한국말로 '보통'이 될수 있는 단어 20가지를 측정하는 도구들로 일종의 해석된 오브제들이다.  비숫한 단어들에서 작가가 해석한 개념을 측정장치로 전환으며, 이 작업은 추후 번역가와 협업한 소설 형태의 작품으로 발전시킬 계획이다.

20180713_105504.jpg

Botong is here somewhere_2018_English Dictionary (Si-sa Elite Collegiate Dictionary of English Language, 2002)_21x29.7cm (each) 20 pieces

20180713_105519.jpg

Collection Hendrickx-Mannaerts_Schoton (BE)

MORE>>

DSC_2615.jpg

1060.jpg

Average Pole_2013_ fluorescent lamp, pipe_variable dimensions

The light bar of 'Average Pole' means Korean average height which Statistic Korea announced in 2013. It's also a very good observation tool to know  the understanding about average to we Korean.

When people realize that the bar means the average height of Korean, people show two different response. the tall man turns to be very proud attitude, but short man turns to be very timid attitude. I thought this situation can apply to the another averages case. such as social class, education, social wealth and till an appearance  that korean thinks very importantly. It shows the power of average.

설치작업 'Average Pole'는 2013년 통계청 발표 대한민국 남녀 키를 지정하고 있다. 관객들이 이 조명바(bar)가 키를 의미한 것을 깨달았을 때 관객들의 얼굴에서 나타나는 확실한 표정의 변화가 우리사회에서 사람들이 왜 그토록 평균이 되려하는지 잘 나타낸다. 조명바(bar)가 평균키임을 깨달은 관객 중 평균키 이상의 사람들은 갑자기 매우 여유로워지는 반면, 이하의 사람들은 급격하게 위축되는 양상을 보였다.

More>>

Normality (by artist Hyesoo Park + Psychiatrist Yumi, Sung) 

1054.jpg

I’m not the average but normal, I’m not normal but the average_2013_ neon sign, 120x80cm

나는 보통은 아니지만 정상이다. 나는 정상은 아니지만 보통이다_2013_네온사인, 120 x 80cm

The study of  ‘Botong’ as ‘normality’ was jointly carried out with psychiatrist Yumi, Sung, consisting of a text-based work that illustrates the spectrum of understanding and awareness that more or less makes up the criteria of normality

'정상'에 대한 개념은 전문가적 경험과 도움이 필요하여 정신과의사 성유미와 협업으로 진행했다. 어느 순간부터 사람들에겐 정상은 그리 중요하지 않았다. 진실의 힘이 약해지는 것과 비례하여 정상의 중요성 역시 퇴색되어가는 듯하다. 설령 옳지않고, 불합리해도 그것이 보통이라면(평균) 사람들은 문제시 삼지않는 것이다. 그러면서 점차 자신이 아닌, 될 수도 없는 기준에 스스로를 맞추면서 사람들은 꿈을 버리고, 사랑을 잃고 모두가 닮아가고 있다.
그리고 '정상'을 전문적으로 다루는 의사에게 조언을 구했다.
그러자 의사는 "작가님은 자신이 이해가 되세요?" 란 말이 돌아온다.
"자신이 이해가 되지 않는 사람도 있어요?"
"그런 사람들이 병원에 오죠. 자신은 이해가 되지 않으니 최소한 사람들에게 이상하게 보이지 않을 '보통'은 되야겠다고 생각하는 사람들..."

'보통검사'를 진행하면서 알게 된 첫번째 사실은 사람들은 보통의 반대를 '특별함'이 아닌, '이상함'으로 인식했고, '이상함=나쁜것'으로 통했다. 때문에 남들 의식하기 좋아하는 한국인들이 최소한 남들에게 이상하게 보여선 안되는 법으로 '보통사람'되기를 선택했단 뜻이다. 
2년여간 의사와 논의에서 평소 '보통과 정상 그리고 평균' 사이에서 고민하던 나의 궁금증은 많은 부분 이해됐고, 그녀와의 대화에서 뇌리를 강하게 치고 지나간 말들을 Text 작품으로 제작했다. 내용은 정신과 의사의 것이고, 이를 작품화한 것은 작가가 했다.

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

Up) DO you understand yourself?_2013_ 당신은 당신을 이해하나요?_ mirror, light_70x62cm

Down) Ring_2013_ring-gauge, dice_30x30cm

The best way to realize 'you are normal or not ' is ask yourself  like a this question. 

"Do you understand yourself?'*

Psychiatrist advised "Normality is same as finding own right position ", then I made the work 'Ring' inspired  by that advice using ring-guage. the message I want to say is "If ring doesn't fit , It's not mine . even if It 's average size."

This simple logic is easy to understand to the stuff like a clothing, wing, shoes. but if same logic apply to the life, Why people can accept that hardly? Why many Korean still try to belong to the average group? 

스스로를 이해하는 일이 일반인들이 '정상'을 판단할 수 있는 쉬운 방법중 하나이다.
그리고 '정상은 제자리를 찾는 일'이란 의사의 조언에 아이디어를 받아, Ring-gauge를 사용하여 '평균이어도 맞지않는 반지는 자신의 것이 아니다.'란  메세지를 주고 싶었다. 이렇게 반지나, 옷, 신발처럼 물건엔 자신을 적용할 줄 아는 사람들이 왜 삶에선 자신의 것을 구분하지 못하고 보통이 되려하는가.

down.jpg

Project Dialogue(2009~) 
Since 2009, I am working on the project "Dialogue" based on a set of surveys with questionnaires asking such personal, vague questions as "What have you given up in your life and for what price?", "What was the dream you gave up?", "Do you think that you belong to the 'average' men?" and "What would be the worst thing that can happen to you?"
With my project "Dialogue" I am trying to reach and touch people's psychology. My approach is analyzing closely each individual's psychology as a real, deeper reason for social problems we are facing, rather than just talking about already known issues as such. I ask questions so that people realize themselves their issues and find their own questions to ask themselves in return. To put it in a nutshell, my project is to make people realize that the society's problems become transmuted to the personal issues and concerns and vice versa. While it lies in the individual sphere to discover the problems, my project "Dialogue" intends to search for the solutions through public dialogues in a social context.

20180712_100049_HDR.jpg

삭제하시겠습니까?
취소